Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

We have the answer

Frequently asked questions about Scout and Girlguiding insurance

Scouts FAQs


Guides FAQs

Buildings, Contents and Equipment

Money Cover

Cancellation Cover

Travel Cover

Miscellaneous Motor Cover

Scouts FAQs

As a Member, what am I covered for by The Scout Association?


The Scout Association provides protection for its Members while participating in a Scouting activity for: Liability claims made against Members or Groups (under its Public Liability Policy); and Medical expenses that are a result of an accident on a Scouting activity (under its Personal Accident and Medical Expenses policy).

The Association also provides Property Owners Liability Cover for all Scout owned buildings and Trustee’s Indemnity Insurance for all Scout management committees and trustees.

There is no need for your Scout Group to take out insurance for public liability or trustee indemnity insurance. You're already covered under The Scout Association's policies.


Will Scouts who do not wear uniform cause an insurance issue?


No, wearing Scout uniform is not an insurance requirement, either when travelling to or from a Scouting activity. Nor is it an insurance requirement at the activity. Well, you wouldn’t go swimming in full Scout uniform, but members are insured while swimming.


Are we covered for first aid?


This is how The Scout Association’s Public Liability policy protects Members concerning first aid.

Administering First Aid

The Scout Association’s Public Liability policy provides protection for its Members who are trained and certificated to administer first aid on any of its Members and the general public.

Providing First Aid Training

In order to run a First Response course, the trainer is required to be either an externally qualified First Aid trainer, or hold a Full First Aid Certificate and The Scout Association’s Presenting and Facilitating modules.

The Scout Association’s Public Liability Policy will cover Scout Leaders who provide first aid training to other people in Scouting and Guiding.

However, if you provide first aid training for people outside Scouting and Guiding, you will need to arrange your own Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance. This type of training would not fall under the Scout Public Liability policy and a separate Professional Indemnity policy would need to be purchased by the group/ trainer/ training centre.


Are my personal possessions, like my mobile phone or MP3 player, covered while I am away on a Scouting activity?


No. The Scout Association has no legal interest in your personal possessions and therefore cannot insure them against loss or damage.

You should ensure that they are either adequately covered under your household insurance or Unity can help by providing separate cover under the “Personal Effects” section of the Property and Equipment Insurance Scheme.

If you are travelling abroad you should ensure that your travel insurance policy has suitable limits of cover for all personal possessions you intend to take with you. Again, contact Unity to arrange a suitable Overseas Travel policy.


If I hire out our headquarters to raise money for the Group, will this affect my insurance?


Yes. You will need to check with your property insurer that hiring it out is not excluded under your policy. However, if you insure through Unity's Scout Property and Equipment policy, your cover will NOT be affected.

The liability as property owners is covered under the umbrella Liability Policy but you should make potential hirers aware that they should have adequate cover for the activities they intend to hold in your premises.


My Group leases third party premises and property for weekly meetings and activities. Are we OK to sign the lease agreements or liability indemnity agreements or should somebody else look at them first?


Any lease or liability indemnity agreement should be sent to Unity before you sign them. Unity will read each one and advise you whether it is acceptable to the Association’s insurers. If the agreement is not acceptable, Unity will advise you on how to overcome the problem as well as provide wording that should be acceptable to both parties.


As the insurance contact for my Group, I don’t seem to receive any correspondence about renewal. Why is that?


Have you moved house recently? Did you notify us of the change of address?

If you would like us to resend your renewal information, simply let us know your new address and we can send you a replacement.


I am not covered by Unity and I have just put in a claim to my current broker for storm damaged camping equipment. The claim has been declined because the policy doesn’t cover me for using my camping equipment outside. Is this normal?


At Unity, we provide cover designed for Scouting and the varied programme of activities undertaken every week. Unity's Property and Equipment scheme provides cover for use in and outside because that is where Scouting normally takes place.


Who do we contact to report an accident?


Contact the Information Centre at Gilwell Park on 0345 300 1818. Details of the incident will be recorded and an Incident Report Form issued for completion.


What cover do I require to travel to/from the Channel Islands or Isle of Man?


It is extremely important for Scout parties to have suitable travel insurance cover to include the various adventurous activities that can be undertaken, an ”off the shelf” travel insurance policy may not provide adequate cover.

Medical expenses in the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are no longer covered under the NHS reciprocal health agreements, therefore we recommend our Overseas Travel Insurance Policy to include repatriation home.

The same would apply to Scout Groups based in the Isle of Man and Channel Islands travelling to England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.




We recommend that where possible the Graffiti is removed / painted over.

Insurers accept this may be futile but it shows the building is in regular use and is being cared for.


Guides FAQs

Buildings, Contents and Equipment

My building does not meet the protection requirements. Does that mean I can’t insure it?


Not necessarily. You should discuss options with your personal Account Handler.


My building has been damaged. Do I have to wait for approval before arranging repairs?


Generally, yes, but if delaying repairs could lead to further damage, you may arrange for immediate ‘first aid’ repairs at the insurers expense.


We have some very old bell tents which are in excellent condition, but which are no longer manufactured. Does that mean that we can’t insure them?


No, you should insure them at a value equivalent to the nearest suitable alternative, such as a patrol tent.


We had a patrol tent destroyed by fire, and would like to replace it with two or three smaller tents to the same value. Is this allowed?


You are insuring the actual patrol tent, not its monetary value so the answer is, strictly, no. However, your personal Account Handler would be happy to discuss your requirements with insurers and arrangements can usually be made.


Which to choose, Contents/Equipment or All Risks


Does the Contents/Equipment section cover our camping equipment in transit and at camp?


Yes, under the Contents/Equipment section, your equipment is covered against all risks in transit and the specified perils whilst at camp.


Is there a limit on the number of addresses which can be listed under the Contents/Equipment section?


No, you can list any number of addresses, but you must state approximate amounts in each.


Can private homes be specified under the Contents/Equipment section?


Yes, but you must make it clear whether the equipment is in the house or an adjacent building.


Most of our equipment is tentage. However, we have just been given a computer, can we insure this?


Yes, you can insure the tentage under either section, but the computer would be insured under the All Risks section.


We currently insure under the Contents/Equipment section. We have a marquee which we intend to offer on hire to other organisations. How should it be covered?


The marquee should be insured under the All Risks section. The additional cost could be offset in the hire charge and this is safer than relying on the hirer to effect his own cover.


We note the Contents/Equipment section covers equipment in the UK. We intend to go abroad next year. Does this mean we should insure under the All Risks section now, to cover the equipment in Europe?


No, you can continue to insure under the Contents/Equipment section. A short period extension to the All Risks section can be arranged to cover camps abroad.


We insure under the Contents/Equipment section. Can we lend our equipment to a neighbouring guiding unit?


No. The Contents/Equipment section only covers equipment used by the insured guiding unit. If you lend equipment, you must either insure under the All Risks section or ask the borrower to effect short period insurance.


Money Cover


The money insurance cover says the maximum limit is £3,000, but our summer fete carries more than that.


Higher limits can be arranged with the insurers, for specific events. Contact your personal Account Handler.


Cancellation Cover

If we insure our summer fete, can we claim if we cancel it on the morning of the day, due to severe weather?


Yes, if in the organiser’s opinion, the weather is too bad to make the event possible.


If we decide to pack up early, because no one is there, can we claim?


That would depend on circumstance. If the lack of attendance is due to nothing more than lack of attraction or poor advertising, no. If, however, severe weather causes you to abandon the event half way through the day, yes.


We were relying on a celebrity appearance and because they didn’t turn up, the public stayed away. Can we claim?


No. The cover does not include non-appearance of celebrities. If this is a critical factor in your event, you may need more specialist cover. Contact your personal Account Handler.


Travel Cover


Do I have to declare pre-existing medical conditions?


When providing travel insurance we assume that everyone is fit and healthy when booking and up until the date of travel. If anyone travelling has any of the following, you will need to complete a medical form for each person. ​​​​​

  • Stroke, heart condition or circulatory disorder

  • Cancer of any type

  • Any mental nervous, depressive or stress related condition

  • A slipped disc, other spinal disorder, diabetes, hernia or rheumatic or arthritic condition

  • Any other injury or illness that has required treatment or investigation in the last two years.

Otherwise providing your doctor says it is OK for you to travel, you do not need to declare any other conditions.


Will my claim for a stolen camera be rejected if I have not reported it to the local Police?


No, providing that your party leader or another adult can verify the theft.


If I am ill and attend hospital, will I have to pay for the treatment and then claim when I return to the UK?


Generally, no. If anyone requires emergency medical or dental treatment abroad, you should immediately contact the emergency service provider. The insurer’s medical helpline should then be informed. They will help you through the claims process and help to get the injured party home at the earliest opportunity.


Miscellaneous Motor Cover


We have an old Transit van which is used to collect jumble around our area and to take kit to camp. How should we insure it?


It can be insured in a number of ways, depending on its age and value. If it has little financial value, it could be insured for third party risks only. Younger vehicles may have residual value and might be worth insuring for fire and theft risks as well. Alternatively, it can be insured comprehensively.


We have a small ‘sit and ride’ mower. How should we insure this?


Whilst small and slow, sit and ride mowers are vehicles and can cause injury, loss or damage to people and property (including other vehicles). For example, from their blades sending small stones flying. As a minimum, you need third party cover but, given their value and how attractive they are to thieves, we would recommend fully comprehensive cover.


We have an old tractor, which is used around the campsite. Can we let any member of the service crew drive it?


Our insurance normally limits cover to any person over 25 years of age, although you may nominate younger drivers (for example, a young warden). Remember to make sure that drivers have adequate training on such vehicles!


Our tractor tows a grass cutting machine. Is that covered?


The third party liability risks associated with the grass cutting attachment would be covered but for loss or damage risks, you would need to declare the cutter and its value.