Public Liability Insurance for Scouts

Public Liability Insurance for the Scouts

Public Liability insurance (also referred to as Legal Liability insurance) covers the cost of compensation to third parties for injury to people or loss or damage to property caused by the negligence of your staff, volunteers or members.

The Scouts Public Liability insurance cover

Who's covered

The cover protects commissioners, leaders and other individuals authorised to lead or assist with Scout activities.

It extends to all those authorised to be in charge of Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorers or members of Scout Network, while they’re engaged in a properly organised and authorised activity abroad. It also includes British Scout leaders who assume temporary responsibility for parties of foreign Scouts visiting the British Isles to participate in Scout activities organised by a British Scout group, district or county.

As a member of the Scouts, you’re already insured for Public Liability.

What’s covered

The Scouts Public Liability policy provides security against claims made by members, their parents, guardians or by third parties, alleging legal liability arising out of accidents occurring during any authorised Scout activity.

Property Owners' Liability

The Scouts Public Liability policy also covers the property owner’s liability which rests upon any Scout authority which owns, or is responsible for the upkeep of land or buildings (except for liability accepted under any agreement). This cover would apply if the incident occurred at a Scout run event, or while another organisation was using your Scout premises.

For example if a member of the public trips over at your Scout premises and breaks an arm alleging your Scout Group was negligent you would be covered under the Scouts Public Liability insurance to defend and meet the claim.

Product Liability

The Scouts Public Liability policy also covers the Products Liability which covers your liability for products you make available to the public.

For example, if you are holding a BBQ and serving food or drinks to members of the public you could be held liable if the sausages or chicken are not quite cooked through resulting in illness. Do not worry though, this is covered by the Products Liability section of the Public Liability Policy.


    We've added new cover - Hirer’s Liability

    With effect from 1 January 2020 the Scout Public Liability policy now extends to cover Hirer’s Liability up to £1m.

    This means that Scout groups who hire out their building to third party individuals to generate an extra income stream (i.e for a birthday party), no longer need to ask to see proof of third party liability insurance, which an individual may not have.  

    Hirer’s Liability Cover

    The Scouts Public Liability policy now also covers Scout groups for claims made against the hirer of the Group's premises.  These claims could be for accidental damage to a third party’s property or accidental injury caused by the hirer.  

    This only applies to individuals, who hire your Scout premises on an ad-hoc basis, such as a parent organising a birthday party.  Organisations who regularly hire your premises, such as weekly mother and toddler groups, should have their own Public Liability cover in place.  You should ask to see Public Liability certificates from organisations hiring your premises. 

    What isn't covered under the Scouts Public Liability policy

    The Scouts Public Liability policy does not cover legal liability in respect of

    • motor vehicles licenced for road use or for which compulsory insurance is required under the Road Traffic Act, or 
    • the ownership, driving or piloting of aircraft and gliders.

    Nor does it fully cover liability for injuries to third parties and/or damage to third party property arising out of ownership or operation of boats.

    We can arrange motor insurance and marine insurance to cover theses liabilities.

    Indemnity Agreements

    If your Scout group is arranging to use for an event or activity, land, premises or any other facility belonging to another authority, organisation or individual, and you're required to sign an agreement or indemnity, you must contact Unity.

    The acceptability of the agreement or indemnity terms, and the adequacy of the Association’s Public Liability Policy in relation to them, need to be confirmed by Unity before you can proceed with the arrangements, or you can sign an agreement or indemnity.


    Public Liability Certificates

    To get a copy of the Scout Association’s Public Liability Certificate, contact us on 0345 040 7703 or email

    'Unity know Scouting and that gives Leaders comfort that our activities are supported by an insurance broker who knows what we are doing for young people.'

    1st North Cray Scout Group

    Public Liability support we provided to the Scouts

    To find out what to do If a liability claim against your Scout group for injury, loss or damage, please see our Public Liability support for the Scouts page.

    Talk to our team of professionals

    Talk to our team of professionals


    Call me:

    0345 040 7703