Personal Accident Insurance for the Scouts

Personal Accident Insurance for the Scouts

Personal Accident and Medical Expenses insurance for the Scouts

You never know when an accident may happen. Being prepared is a way of life in Scouting, but sometimes we all need a little help to cope with the unexpected. That’s why we’ve developed Personal Accident and Medical Expenses insurance for the Scouts.

Cover provided for members of the Scouts

Who is covered?

All members and future members of the Scouts whose units are recorded at UK Headquarters and are situated in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, and including British Scouts Overseas.

When am I covered?

You’re covered for an accident which arises whilst you are travelling to, participating in, or travelling home from any authorised Scout activity.

What am I covered for?*

Personal Accident and Illness cover

Benefits are payable if you

  • sustain bodily injury as a result of an accident which results in permanent injury or death.
  • sustain temporary disability as a result of an accident or illness contracted and diagnosed whilst staying away from home at any organised activity.

Medical Expenses cover

Cover is also provided for medical expenses as a result of an accident and cover for up to two relatives or friends who, on medical advice, are required to travel to and remain with you if you're hospitalised away from home.

You can find details of the benefits provided in the Schedule of Benefits. Click here to see the Schedule of Benefits

* subject to policy terms and conditions. For the full terms, conditions and exclusions, please contact us

Personal Accident Cover extended for over 70's

We know that Scout volunteers continue into retirement, and we need to provide insurance to match. We've reviewed the benefit limits of our personal accident insurance and removed the upper age limit.

Just so you know, nothing's changed with the benefits of permanent and temporary total disablement, which only apply to those in employment.

Additional personal accident and medical expenses insurance from Unity

Non-member helpers and supporters

For those who don’t appear in the annual census of members, including parent helpers, who are not automatically included in the cover arranged by the Scouts.

Non-member children

For children who aren’t members of the Scouts, but who attend, or take part in, weekly meetings or events because they’re accompanying their parent(s), or with other adults.

Top-up to basic Personal Accident and Medical Expenses cover

We’ve developed a ‘top-up’ cover, the Personal Injury Plan (PIP), which provides an optional facility to our members and their families, including the parents and siblings of members, to top-up their basic Personal Accident and Medical Expenses cover.

'Provided just what we needed. We thought it might be more expensive than others. How wrong we were.'

2nd Harlington Scout Group

Who do we contact to report an accident at a Scouting event or activity?

Contact the Scout Information Centre at Gilwell Park on 0345 300 1818.

Details of the incident will be recorded and an Incident Report Form issued for completion.

Do Scouts need to wear uniform to be covered by insurance?

No, wearing Scout uniform is not an insurance requirement.  Well, you wouldn’t go swimming in full Scout uniform, but members are insured while swimming.


Talk to our team of professionals

Talk to our team of professionals


Call me:

0345 040 7703