UK stickers when driving in Europe after Brexit
07 December 2020

Be Prepared for Driving in Europe after Brexit

updated 15 October 2021

As you will be aware the United Kingdom has left the EU and the transition period has ended. This means there are implications if you’re driving in the EU, which include: 

  • Driving licences and international driving permits
  • Green cards, and
  • Displaying a UK sticker 

Driving licences and international driving permits

What is changing?

The Department of Transport says UK motorists should carry their UK driving licence with them. 

You don’t need an international driving permit (IDP) to visit and drive in the EU, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein. However, you might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have: (a) a paper driving licence or (b) a licence that was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.  You will not need an IDP to drive when visiting Ireland if you have a UK driving licence.

For more information and to check if you need an IDP, visit the Government’s website “Driving licences and international driving permits.”

Green Cards

What is changing?

The Department of Transport says UK motorists from 2 August 2021 don’t need to carry a green card as proof of insurance cover when driving in the EU (including Ireland), Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, or Switzerland. You still need valid motor insurance.

UK stickers

What you need to do

From 28 September 2021, you need a UK sticker instead of a GB sticker.

You must display a UK sticker on the rear of your vehicle and trailer when driving outside the UK, including in the EU/EEA.  This doesn’t apply if you have a number plate which includes the UK identifier with the Union flag.

Don’t forget the get the right level of cover abroad

All UK motor insurance policies will continue to provide third-party motor insurance cover for travel to EU and EEA member states, so you’ll not need to purchase additional third-party motor insurance policy cover to meet that country’s minimum insurance requirements.

However you will still need to contact your insurance broker or insurer, if you want the same level of cover as you have in the UK.

Further information:

Visit the Government’s website for information on driving in the EU:

For information about the possible requirement for an International Driving Permits, visit

For information published by the FCA for consumers, visit


Our other blog posts: